Gamey Twist to a Favorite St. Patrick’s Day Meal
RIVERTON, Wyo. (March 3, 2020) — Brined for days and cooked for hours, corned beef has been a St. Patrick’s Day staple forever, but when done properly you will be hard-pressed to tell the difference between corned beef and corned venison or other game meats. Using wild game offers a healthy alternative to this holiday favorite as the meat is much leaner and does not have any added hormones or preservatives.
With St. Patrick’s Day only 14 days away it is time to start planning now. Keep in mind that the corning process takes a week or more so it is necessary to begin the process early. To make things easy for you, Hi Mountain Seasonings has the perfect Corned Venison recipe that will make your St. Patrick’s meal that will have your family and friends coming back for more!
How long you brine your meat depends on the thickness of the cut. If you have a large piece of venison consider cutting it in half to reduce the brining/pickling time. The brining process is complete when you can cut the meat in half and it is no longer gray in the center. If it is gray – put it back in the brine.
How to Corn Venison (or other game meat)
- 3 to 5 pounds of venison roast trimmed of all silver skin and gristle
- 3 ½ quarts water
- 1 Packet Hi Mountain Jerky Cure
- 1 Packet Hi Mountain Jerky Seasoning
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ cup pickling salt
- ¼ cup pickling spice
1. Combine all ingredients with the exception of the meat into a large pot and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow the liquid to cool completely. Place meat into a non-metallic container (glass, plastic, zip lock) and pour the brine over to cover completely. Place in refrigerator for 5-7 days. Remove meat from brine and rinse under cold water.
2. Put rinsed meat in large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours or until meat is very tender.
Corned Venison Sandwich with Spicy Mayo
- 2 slices dark rye bread
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2-3 slices pepper jack cheese
- 3 to 4 ounces corned venison
- 2 whole roasted Ortega-type chilis
- 2 slices tomato
- Thin slices red onion
1. Combine melted butter and garlic and spread on one side of each bread slice. Place bread, butter side down in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add 1 or 2 slices of cheese to the bread, corned venison, roasted chilis, tomato, onion and more cheese. Place remaining bread, buttered side up on top of the cheese.
2. Once the bottom slice of bread is slightly crispy carefully flip the sandwich over and cook until the bottom is equally crisp. Serve with Spicy Mayo.
- 3 Tsp mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ¼ teaspoon HMS Bacon Pineapple Sriracha seasoning
Get your green on and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Hi Mountain Seasonings delicious Corned Venison Sandwich with Spicy Mayo.
Hi Mountain’s entire line of products, cooking tips, instructional videos and recipes are also available at www.himtnjerky.com. Hi Mountain products also can be found at high-end sporting-goods stores, farm-and-ranch stores and many local grocery stores.
Located in the heart of Wyoming, Hi Mountain Seasonings was founded in 1991. It is the premier manufacturer of kits for homemade jerky and sausage. Hi Mountain Seasonings has successfully captured distinct, traditional Western flavors in its jerky cure & seasonings, Western-style seasonings, bacon cures and other products that make up the unique line of gourmet Western seasonings. For additional information, write: Hi Mountain Seasonings, 1000 College View Drive, Riverton, WY 82501; call toll-free 1-800-829-2285; or visit the company website at www.himtnjerky.com.